• Culture

Spring Break Destinations

• Community Questionnaire #6

Culture

Community Questionnaire #6

• Scientist Word Search

Bucks Spotlight

Scientist Word Search

• Local Band Feature: Davy Jones Locker

Bucks Spotlight

Local Band Feature: Davy Jones’ Locker

• Community Questionnaire #5

Culture

Community Questionnaire #5

• Sports

Super Bowl Preview: Everything you Need to Know for America’s Biggest Game

• Book Review: Lunar Park (published 2005) by Bret Easton Ellis

Culture

Book Review: Lunar Park (published 2005) by Bret Easton Ellis

• Culture

Speaker Feature: Sarah Feller (Holocaust Survivor)

• Book Review: The Shards (published 2023) by Bret Easton Ellis

Culture

Book Review: The Shards (published 2023) by Bret Easton Ellis

• Classical Composer Word Search

Games

Classical Composer Word Search

The Court Street Press

The Student News Site of Central Bucks High School West

The Court Street Press

The Court Street Press

CBWestPress
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Meet the Staff

The Stress of School: How to not let anxiety control your life. 

Who is the one driving the car? You or anxiety? Are you behind the wheel or are you in the passenger seat?  

Although most people can appear calm, cool, and collected on the outside, many struggle silently. It is important to keep in mind that you never know what someone is going through, and school is stressful enough. So as a community, we should be kinder to each other. If you experience anxiety or know a friend who battles it, this article might offer some helpful advice.  

1.Never feel guilty for feeling anxious.  

Anxiety is something no one wishes for, and it is often out of our control. We can’t simply just say, “brain, stop worrying.” Our minds do not function like that. 275 million people in the world work through anxiety, so it is a normal human experience. Allow yourself to feel the emotions of fear, pain, sadness, and anger. It is okay to not be okay.  

2. Talk to somebody about your inner world. 

Pretending that everything is fine is not a healthy coping strategy! No one should struggle alone, and everyone deserves a safe space. All you need is one person who truly cares and wants to listen to your story. It can be a family member, friend, trusted teacher, or co-worker.  

3. Strive for your best, not perfection. 

Anxiety can make normal everyday tasks a thousand times more challenging. Be proud of yourself because you are making it through every day. If you are a slow worker in class, or take longer on a test, give yourself grace. There is no need to compare yourself to others. Everyone’s journey is different.  

4. Time management. 

If you ever feel out of control and overwhelmed time management could help ease anxiety. Take accountability of your schedule and be responsible for the choices you make. You are the one in charge, not your anxiety! Try to spread out your work in little chunks so assignments are less overwhelming. Complete the more challenging homework first, and then save an easier homework for later. Even though cell phones are a great comfort, our sleep is usually sacrificed because of them. Put the phone down and turn off the lights. Rest is essential and can reduce anxiety levels.   

5.Coping with anxiety. 

Even if we cannot control anxiety, we can control our response to it. The good news is there are many ways to cope with anxiety. Not all coping strategies will align with everyone, so it is important to practice what resonates best with you. Spending time outside is good for the body and mind. A simple walk outside could help clear your headspace. Therapy is an option that could be beneficial, but a journal can work just as well. Writing thoughts and feelings on paper is freeing and healing. Distracting yourself with a good book or movie could be just the cure to a troubled mind and could be a way to calm yourself down.  

6.Treating yourself.
Dealing with anxiety can be tough during a demanding school year, so don’t be afraid to treat yourself. Go to your local coffee shop and grab the drink you have been eyeing up for the past week. On the weekends get ahead of your assignments and romanticize studying. You can meet up with friends at the library and form a study group. Or try baking your favorite snacks on the weekend, so you can bring them to school and have something to look forward to. 

Believe in yourself and know that anxiety is only temporary and will eventually pass.