Teacher Feature: Ms. Regad

Teacher Feature: Ms. Regad

Trisha George, Staff Writer

Q: Where are you from and where did you go to school?

I’m from Howell, NJ, and I went to Howell High School. I went to Stockton University and then went out to Stony Brook for my Masters. I began my teaching at Monmouth University.

Q: Do you have any hobbies or recreational activities?

I am an avid scuba diver and I love to go hiking. I also love any sorts of arts and crafts.

Q: What’s your favorite animal?

Sea turtles! I’m an ocean person so I love sea turtles.

Q: What do you teach here at West?

I teach a lot of things: AP Biology, Honors and Academic Biology, Astronomy, and Oceanography.

Q: What’s an interesting concept or topic that you enjoy teaching?

I love teaching about genetics and biotechnology.

Q: How has teaching AP Biology been so far?

I really enjoy teaching AP Biology because we go in depth with the information and take it to the next level.

Q: What is the best part about teaching? Challenges?

My favorite part is getting people interested and excited about science. I also love when students get their Aha! moment. The challenging part is just trying to balance everything out – grading, making sure students are doing okay, etc.

Q: What do you believe is a key component to succeeding in class?

Not being afraid to fail. Learning from your failures to get to success. If you don’t fail, we don’t learn anything. Don’t be afraid to fail!

Q: If you could bring any past scientist back to life, who would it be and why?

I would love to meet Bill Nye and Jane Goodall.

Jane paved a new pathway in her field of science. She’s a big advocate for conservation and that is what I like to do as a teacher.

Q: Do you have a message or any advice that you want to send out to your students and future students?

Never give up no matter how hard it seems. What seems like a big challenge today is going to look like a huge accomplishment tomorrow, or later!