Advice To Underclassmen

Emily Donald, Staff Writer

What is the most important advice you would give to underclassmen? 

Get involved! There are so many clubs and activities here at West, meaning there is something for everyone. Clubs are a fun way to meet new friends, get engaged, and build your resume with extracurriculars. You can access a list of all of West’s clubs on our school website, with information of how to join, teacher contacts, and short descriptions of the various clubs. 

Help out! There are also many ways to participate by volunteering through the school. As some of you may know, we just had a field trip dedicated to preparing meals for people in need which students could sign up for. We have many more events like this coming up this year, so ask your teachers what you can do to get involved. It feels good knowing you have a part in making your school and community a better place. 

Go to football games and school events! It is fun to dress up for the themes, show support for the Bucks, and spend time with your classmates outside of the classroom. 

Advice for sophomores  

Being in the high school building is definitely a big change and can even be a little scary, so don’t be afraid to ask upperclassmen or teachers for help finding a classroom or specific area! It definitely takes a few months to get used to the layout of the school, so don’t stress if you find yourself unfamiliar with some areas. I still sometimes get lost, and I have been a student here for a while now. 

Also, get to know your guidance counselor and house principal. They can help you with various issues you may be faced with and can answer any questions you have. 

Again, get involved in clubs and activities! That is also a good way to familiarize yourself with the school and meet new people. 

Advice for juniors 

You may be hearing that junior year is the hardest year of high school, but it’s really not bad at all if you put in the right effort.  

Junior year is when most students will take the SAT and ACTs, so make sure if that is you, you are preparing for those tests! 

Junior year is also when many students begin to think about college, so make sure you are building a strong resume (you can do this through Naviance) and starting to form a college list. However, you still have a ton of time, so don’t stress too much. Work hard in your classes, but also enjoy the year, it is a fun one!