Here to Help: Organizational Techniques

From a busy writer to a busy reader, here’s some tips to keep track of it all.

Time management and organization are two skills that are crucial to learn in high school.  Proper organization and time management will help you maximize your college experience and hold you accountable at workplaces in the future.  Although these are two key skills to take away from high school, there are no classes that teach them: you have to experiment and find what works for you.  In this piece I will explain the methods I’ve found most effective, and show ways other Bucks organize themselves!

As a senior with difficult (virtual) classes, a full-time job, mounds of college applications, and a handful of extracurriculars, good time management is what allows me to be involved in everything I want to be a part of.  I find that by using the “reminders” and “calendar” apps on my phones, I can stay organized and visualize how my week will look.  The ability to open my phone and see if I have any tests, major assignments, and work during the week helps me decide the best times to set up meetings and study.  Also, by creating a weekly to-do list and leaving it in the middle of my desk, I can have an idea of how I can utilize my free time to ensure I never have to rush an assignment.   

As for organization, I personally use different colors of paper for each subject when taking notes by hand.  I also have my OneDrive organized by grade and subject, so I can reflect on past assignments and never “lose” a piece I worked hard on.  Lastly, I never sit in bed when attending virtual school.  By having a clean desk to work at, I can have any materials I would need within arm’s reach.  My brain also associates my desk with work and my bed with sleeping.  When I am at my desk, I am more productive and organized because it is a comfortable, clean place to complete assignments.   

That’s enough about me; let’s see how other students stay organized during virtual school!  Amanda George, a senior, uses virtual sticky notes and virtual folders to help her keep track of assignments.  Chloe Weintraub, a sophomore, says “I would recommend confiding in people you trust to help you set your priorities when you’re overwhelmed.”  Their advice is quite valuable, as taking an outside look into your situation as a great organization and anti-anxiety strategy.  Oftentimes, you can ask your teachers for help with organization because they want to see you succeed! 

Hopefully this gave you some insight into effective techniques that Bucks use to stay organized, manage their time, and set priorities.  Good luck, and try one or two of our suggestions: they will likely help you!